Our IP specialists work at all stage of the IP life cycle and provide strategic advice about patent, trade mark and registered designs, as well as any IP-related disputes and legal and commercial requirements.
Andrew has extensive experience of patent drafting and prosecution, providing pragmatic business-focused IP advice to businesses globally. He has particular expertise in obtaining and advising on Patent Term Extensions worldwide (including SPCs), as well as providing broader strategic advice taking account of regulatory exclusivity periods for pharmaceutical products. He has managed and advised on significant Freedom to Operate issues, IP dispute resolution and multi-jurisdictional IP litigation-related activities.
Areas of Expertise
- Small molecule pharmaceuticals
- Process chemistry, intermediates, drug formulations
- Salts, solid/crystalline forms
- Treatment regimes including combination therapies and new medical uses
- PTEs, SPCs & Regulatory Exclusivity for drug products
- Specialist polymers & composite materials
- Industrial manufacturing process technologies
Andrew primarily works with pharmaceutical and polymer companies.
Andrew has a first class Master’s degree in chemistry from the University of Oxford and a PhD in organic synthesis from the University of Bristol. He spent three years as a process chemist at a leading pharma company before moving into IP, qualifying as both a UK and European Patent Attorney.
Before joining Mewburn Ellis in 2020 Andrew has worked in the IP department of a global biopharmaceutical firm and at a polymer & composites company.