Jan is a member of the trade mark team, with vast experience in all trade mark related matters from general strategic advice, clearances, filing and prosecution to enforcement of trade marks in opposition and court proceedings. His work includes negotiation of trade mark related agreements including out of court settlements, and managing Border Seizure applications. He also has experience in design and copyright matters.
Areas of Expertise
- Trade mark clearance
- Trade mark prosecution, including management of worldwide trademark portfolios
- Trade mark oppositions and cancellation actions, up to GC and CJEU respectively Federal German Patent Court
- Trade mark enforcement, including litigation before German infringement courts
- Negotiating agreements, including delimitation agreements and out of court settlements
- Managing Border Seizure Applications
- Design matters
- Copyright matters
Jan has worked with large IT and telecommunication device companies, internet and social media companies and major German telecommunication devices manufacturers as well as supermarket chains. He has also worked with European SME’s, several luxury fashion companies, a scooter manufacturer, along with Fintech companies and certifying companies (advising on the new European Union Certification Mark).
Jan is a German attorney at law. He passed the First State Examination after studying at the University of Konstanz. After his two year legal internship program (Referendariat) in Konstanz, Berlin and Portland, USA, he passed the Second State Examination and was admitted to the Munich Bar Association as a German Rechtsanwalt in January 2012. He joined Mewburn Ellis in 2022.
Jan is named as a ‘Rising Star’ in the Managing Intellectual Property’s IP Stars 2021 for Germany at his previous firm.