Sam works principally on chemistry and materials science patents. He has extensive experience drafting new patent applications and coordinating prosecution and grant worldwide. He also regularly represents clients at EPO oppositions and appeals. Sam has a particular interest in Supplementary Protection Certificates (SPCs) and leads our SPC and Patent Term Extensions group.
Areas of Expertise
- Small molecule pharmaceutical compounds, compositions, and their uses in therapy
- Drug formulations – particularly modified release formulations
- Energy storage technology; including battery chemistry, separators, electrolytes, and cell architecture
- Carbon nanotechnologies, including graphene and carbon nanotubes
- Nanostructured materials
- Polymers such as silicone rubber compositions and polymer protective coatings
- Processes for production of basic industrial chemicals
- Inorganic magnetic materials
- SPCs and Patent term Extensions and strategies for authorised drugs and plant protection products
Sam’s clients in the UK and Europe include many of the top-ranked UK universities alongside companies ranging from small start-ups through to large multinationals. Sam has a particular focus on the US and regularly visits clients, particularly in the San Francisco bay area.
Sam has a Masters degree in chemistry (MChem) and a PhD in carbon nanotubes chemistry both from the University of Oxford. He joined Mewburn Ellis LLP in 2002 qualifying as a European Patent Attorney in 2006 and a UK Chartered Patent Attorney in 2007. He joined the partnership in 2010.
During his training Sam spent three months working with a firm of US patent attorneys in Alexandria, VA.