Having previously spoken to Guy Heathers, Singapore biotech entrepreneur, about the development of Singapore’s biotech R&D ecosystem, Forward Editor Charles Orton-Jones catches up with him to explore how the country has fared as it continues to work to attract and support innovation and what trends and technologies are on his radar.
Listen time: 13 minutes
- Episode intro (00:20)
- Has a biotech boom happened in Singapore? (00:40)
- How mature is the biotech scene in Singapore? (01:30)
- Does Singapore have a reputation for being an intellectual powerhouse? (02:20)
- How is the government involved in the biotech scene? (03:20)
- What could the government be doing to develop the biotech ecosystem? (04:45)
- Looking at the overall ecosystem, where are the weaknesses? (05:25)
- What are the attitudes to remote working in Singapore and how might this help the biotech industry? (06:20)
- Is there a downside to working remotely within the industry? (07:20)
- Are IP rights of concern in Singapore? (08:40)
- What is Hoow Foods? (10:15)
- What is the outlook for biotech in Singapore? (11:50)
Read our previous interview with Guy about the development of Singapore's biotech R&D ecosystem.
Learn more about Hoow Foods.
Learn more about the new technologies and ventures that are taking on the challenge of providing alternatives to current agriculture in our podcast with Jim Mellon and visit our future food spotlight page for more information on this topic.
More about Mewburn Ellis Forward
Forward celebrates the most compelling developments taking place in the scientific and entrepreneurial worlds and covers the IP challenges that international organisations face every day. This podcast is part of our new Forward: On Demand series - video blogs (vlogs), podcasts and webinars available to watch or listen to at any time. View the full series here and the podcast series here.
Sign up to our monthly Forward newsletter to receive the latest news, insights, features and on demand content direct to your inbox each month.
Sign up to our newsletter: Forward - news, insights and features
We have an easily-accessible office in central London, as well as a number of regional offices throughout the UK and an office in Munich, Germany. We’d love to hear from you, so please get in touch.