Touching on their recent blogs Outstanding in the field - Biotechnology and the search for improved crops and More like the real meal - alternative plant-based proteins, they explore:
- The challenges the food industry faces — (00:06)
- How engineering improved crops might help — (01:00)
- The role plant-based meat analogues (PBMAs) play — (03:00)
- How PBMAs mimic meat — (04:10)
- Why research is currently focussed on genetically engineering crops — (05:50)
- How intellectual property (IP) is involved in all of this — (06:55)
Watch time: 8:00 minutes
Forward: On Demand is a series of video blogs (vlogs), podcasts and webinars available to watch or listen to at any time. Hear about the latest developments from the scientific and entrepreneurial worlds and keep up to date with news from the IP world. Look out for the video and audio symbols on our blogs.
About the presenters
This vlog was co-presented by Sarah Harvey and Fay Allen.
Sarah is a trainee patent attorney working as part of our life sciences team. She has a degree in Biological Sciences from Oxford University. She completed her PhD at Warwick University in plant pathology looking at how pathogen effectors manipulate the plant immune response. Sarah then worked as a post-doc in the Centre for Novel Agricultural Products at York University on plant responses to biotic stress.
Sign up to our newsletter: Forward - news, insights and feature
We have an easily-accessible office in central London, as well as a number of regional offices throughout the UK and an office in Munich, Germany. We’d love to hear from you, so please get in touch.